Welcome to Momentum's first newsletter
I know it is not too fancy and we are working on getting our official newsletter service up and running but we wanted to share with you what has been happening since we opened our doors this past June.
We are happy to report that our first few months of business have been tremendous. The warm welcome we have received from the Boulder community has been thrilling and inspiring. We would like to share with you some of the highlights from our first three months:
The great press we have received:
- Business article in the Daily Camera
(Read Daily Camera article);
- A two page business profile in the fall issue of Boulder Magazine
(Read Boulder Magazine article);
- A business feature article in the Boulder County Business Report
(Read Boulder County Business Report article); and
- The award we received from Mother's Acting Up (MAU) for supporting the World's Children through our Fair Trade practices.
BOULDER - Sept. 8 was the most recent "girlcott", where MAU members and volunteers celebrated a new store in Boulder called Momentum, 16th and Pearl Streets. They praised this store for featuring all Fair Trade certified products - meaning it ensures sustainable wages, no child labor and creates economic opportunities for women in impoverished areas of the world. (Read the full article at YourHub.com)
- The overwhelming success of our Saturday events, which have raised over $1,000 for the cooperatives, artisans and non-profits listed below:
During our Grand Opening month (July), we hosted events every Saturday- we are now on our regular event schedule, which an event the third Saturday of every month, from 1-4pm. Check the events section on our website for the most current information on our upcoming events:
- Wandering Albatross — works directly with women's cooperative in the remote mountains of Peru in order to help them find sustainable markets for their traditional weavings.
- The Gathering Place — offers a safe daytime refuge to women and children experiencing homelessness and poverty in Denver, CO. Their Card Project provides a safe and supportive environment for women to express themselves through art and work towards self sufficiency.
- Save the Elephants — secures a future for elephants by sustaining the beauty and ecological integrity of the places where they live.
- Batsiranai — is a cooperative, based in the crowded suburbs of Harare, Zimbabwe, comprised of twenty-six women with severely disabled children, who support themselves through the sale of their embroidery.
- The Ladies' Sewing Circle — empowers low income women in Denver, CO to set up their own sewing businesses and helps them achieve self-sufficiency.
- Tibetan Village Project (TVP) — is a non-profit, non-political organization dedicated to promoting sustainable development while preserving the rich cultural heritage of Tibet.
October is Fair Trade Month!
Momentum is celebrating with free coffee and chocolate
Saturday, October 20th 1-4pm
- Taste Momentum's Fair Trade, Organic and Shade Grown Coffees
- Nibble on Momentum's Fair Trade and Organic artisan chocolates
- Identify the flavor in our bold new chocolate line & win a $75 gift certificate
Thank you for supporting Fair Trade,
Jenny and Kevin Natapow
and the Momentum Team
1625 Pearl Street
Boulder, Colorado 80302